25 January 2009

throwback to elementary school

So, I go to school. I sit in class for 22 hours a week. At first I thought that was crazy. But really, it's kinda nice. I'm always in class, but I rarely rarely ever have homework. And if I do, it's probably a person that I need to "research" for 5 minutes on wikipedia. Who doesn't love wikipedia ?!

So ... what am I learning you ask? What a good question.

Spanish:
I have Spanish 5x/week, from 9-11am. My professor, Irma, is crazy - which is why I love her. She offered her special prescription face cream to one of our classmates to help protect her skin from irritation from the cold weather. She also will throw each student a birthday party. She also loves hearing about the beers and alcoholic beverages of each culture. She also is one of THE most expressive people I know. She is also a sweetheart who has lived through a lot, has so much wisdom to share, has so many more laughs to have, and has such a bright persona. Aside from spunky Irma making our class simply wonderful ... I also really enjoy the other students in our class. We're all very different from each other - but I like us. And yah, my class has a lot of gringos.
[Random, but actually quite related note ... I hate sitting next to people who smoke. They stink so bad and make me wanna gag. Ugh.]

Conflict & Change: Mexico 1968-2008
You would think this class material is interesting, considering 1968 was the year of the student revolutionary movement in Mexico ... and so the material is interesting, but unfortunately my professor has THE most monotone voice EVER. Oh, and though he always makes intense eye contact and scans the room to see if we understand his spanish, he never speaks expressively and does not say much ... so if I miss what he says, well then I missed what he said. The class started with 10ish people, and dropped to 5 ... que triste. Though it's a struggle to stay awake in the class, past students have said that the class is supereasy and pretty much a guaranteed A [or score of 9-10, I guess].
I hope I actually learn in this class.

Latin American Literature:
I also really like this professor, Sarah. She has a firm and cutting voice occassionally, but she's a good lecturer and teacher. She is engaging and constantly checks to make sure we are comprehending the Spanish and the material. I must admit, even though this is probably the 1098374987104th time [okay ... maybe just 3rd or 4th] I'm learning about the Mayas and Aztecas ... I still often get their stories confused together. This class is also fun. I like the diversity of exchange students - US, Mexico, France ... okay, I guess that's as diverse as it gets.
I appreciate her energy.

Contemporary Problems of Mexico:
This is my only class that is NOT part of the exchange program. Which means, eep, I'm in class with normal Ibero Mexican students! I probably only understand 75% of what Professor Laura says, and 5% of what the other students say ... but I love it. The class is super fascinating because we're talking about actual, relevant issues. It's a history class, but most everyone in the class is a 4th semester Communications major. From this class I've actually made a handful of native Chilango [from the Federal District - where I am] friends - two of which I got to hang out with today, outside of school ... yay! The professor is a tough cookie and kinda interrogates her students for well-thought out answers, but thankfully she either pities me and my broken Spanish, or she just thinks I'm stupid. Either way - I appreciate the fact that she doesn't interrogate me, and that she gives me the freedom to do my assignments in English. Oh, and I think there are a few people in that class that think I'm an ignorant, arrogant gringa [b/c I'm from the US] ... but that's okay, b/c I think they're also slightly ignorant and arrogant. All in all though, it's been fascinating, but definitely rough as I've basically been trying to learn all of Mexico's history within a span of ... two weeks.
I hope to become more knowledgable, so that I can have an intelligent discussion about Mexico's contemporary political, social and economic problems.

Seriously though, when's the last time you had NO homework and could spend your entire evening out and about exploring the city? Exactly, 5th grade.
Mmmm, yummy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"Random, but actually quite related."

Mabe you don't know how funny that sounds. It's really funny to me... so congratulations on raising my eyebrows.

It seems like you're happy! I hope you're happy. It's so much nicer without you around, too.

Grace said...

i love elementary school. i think 2nd grade was my favorite. and then 3rd grade, when mrs. greemore ate her apricots after lunch every day. mmmm. :)

i agree, glad you're happy in mexico. <3

dhatroit said...

nice
wow... ur gonna b like tri-lingual.
that's impressive

jiha3lim said...

hey anna! i've just caught up on reading all your blogs so far and i have to say, i'm jealous! the weather here in gainesville is quite chilly (and occasionally rainy). yuckyy.

i'm glad to hear you're doing well. continue to learn lots of spanish :) you can re-teach me. hehee. OH. and eat lots of tacos. i was watching this show on food network about this guy who went to mexico and ate the most delish food EVER.

i miss you and stay safe! <3