I'm seriously impressed. There are people all over the world that are born in a country that is neither the US or England [ie: Mexico], and learn the predominant language of the nation as their first language [ie: Spanish], continue to live in that same country their entire lives [ie: they remain in Mexico], and yet somehow still have perfect English. Seriously, what's up with that?! [I've been learning Chinese since I was born ... and I am quite far from having "perfect" Chinese.]It really amazes me how two of my Mexican friends have such flawless English. Yes, they still have a slight - very slight - accent. And okay, maybe they don't understand single thing I say ... but their vocabulary is rather expansive, they have a pretty good grasp on colloquial/informal sayings [ie: the proper use of "can I take a raincheck?"], and most amazing to me - their grammar is pretty much PERFECT.
Okay ... all that to say ... I really need to work on my Spanish. In the last few days, I've had an increased desire to become fluent. Maybe it's pride, maybe it's my ingrained desire to always strive for the best [even though I tell myself I'm okay with "good enough", or maybe it's just common sense to take advantage of the opportunity I have to really challenge and extend my knowledge of the Spanish language. I want to stop making stupid conjugation errors. I want to speak confidently. I want to be able to have a fluid conversation, completamente en EspaƱol.

On another note, you have got to see this movie. I knew nothing about it, and I loved how the story unravelled slowly. I can't wait to watch it again ... to observe the things I missed the first time. Bring tissues though!
On that note of movies, I love that on Wednesdays, tickets are 1/2 off. So, a movie ticket is only 35 pesos, which is less than $3 USD. So now you know where to find my housemates and me on Wednesday evenings ...
P.S. Allergies are MUCH better. I think I just had to adjust to the pollution here. Har.
4 comments:
aw i actually didn't enjoy the movie as much as you did. I have this horrible gift , call it discernment, I dont know, of knowing exactly why and how things will go down in movies. I guessed it all within the 1st five minutes, and then it was just not fun.
praise GOD for lowered allergies!!!!
so i wrote you this really long comment and it wouldn't get published. you really shouldn't use blogger.com =P
i was saying that in america there are so many different languages going around that english has to be the main focus whereas in other countries its only 2. if there was only chinese and english in america, you would be perfectly fluent in both. people are forced to learn english elsewhere... plus they look up to the english world.
as for seven pounds, it was very good but the story was lacking. first of all it was predictable off the bat, but then again 90% of movies are. the ones that arent ususally win awards (minus slumdog millionaire which was good but predictable). the script was written well because he ended up focusing on only a few ppl in the movie whereas everyone else was just mentioned to fill the gap between the characters. had all 7 ppl been in the movie with equal screen time then it would have been much more dramatic. his time with the girl was necessary but too drawn out. her storyline could have been reduced drastically. think of how heroes in season 1 tied in characters simultaneously or how the movie crash did (dont know if you've seen it). i'm a will smith fanboy but I think pursuit of happyness was much better (both movies were written by the same guy). this is a good movie that can be remade years later to be a great movie.
if you haven't seen benjamin button, you should definitely see that.
Fine fine, I GUESS I'll return the favor... :P
Post a Comment