23 June 2009

Closure.

Okay. So, I admit, I’m a slacker and just like I’m terrible at keeping in touch w/ people, I’m also terrible at updating blogs, and pretty terrible at simply keeping my word sometimes.

In any case, here it is. My closure will take the form of a list of various [ranging from significant to insignificant, in no particular order] things I learned from my short few months in Mexico …

I learned in Mexico:

1. that I like, actually Love, diversity. As much as I love Mexican culture, I also love a society and community full of different foods, different languages, different cultural traditions, and different skin colors. When I was in Mexico and I saw a black person, it was AMAZING. It was like, stop dead in your tracks, do a double take, then realize your rudeness, and try to not stare.

2. to be independent. For a while I felt kinda lost, as if I were just floating with the wind, b/c I had no one to be accountable to, nor anyone really responsible for me. Sure, my exchange program cared if I died or got injured while in Mexico, but only to a certain extent. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, wherever I wanted. The freedom was a bit unnerving. And though really, I had/have this kind of independence while at Brown, I think emotionally and mentally I never felt that I could handle this kind of independence – until Mexico.

3. to be more open and willing to engage with strangers. No, I don’t talk to random strangers all the time, but I think independence has taught me confidence.

4. the importance of mastery of a language. There are such subtle differences that mark the distinction between someone who can speak well and someone who can speak fluently and eloquently. I have a deeper appreciation for language and how it allows us to communicate on so many levels. I don’t know if I’ve actually mastered English.

5. to wait. [Although, I have already forgotten it. Already, I have become super impatient and hate waiting. Rowr.] What could theoretically be a 15 minute trip by car, could easily take an hour by bus. There are no bus schedules in Mexico; you simply wait those 2-20 minutes for the next bus to arrive. There are no shortcuts to getting around the city – you can only move so quickly through a metro station. Waiting in lines, waiting on buses, waiting for teachers to arrive, waiting for the doorman to open the door, waiting for Bible study to begin – waiting became natural and completely expected/accepted.

6. that physical touch is definitely one of my primary love languages – with everyone. I love cheek-kisses, hugs, pats on the back, etc. I need at least a hug a day. I immensely miss greetings of hugs and cheek-kisses. This past Sunday, when I was at church (here in Houston) during “greet-each-other” time … I shook hands with many kind, sweet people … but it just felt so distant and cold.

7. that working out is something I do when I have extra time. It’s like a hobby. I’m working on changing my outlook on that.

8. the deep, deep love of God through my friendships with Alicia, Becca & Erika. I felt so known by them, and yet/thus so loved. They challenged me, encouraged me, accepted me, taught me countless things. We cried together, we laughed together, we ran around embarrassing ourselves together, we studied together [okay, that’s a lie … but we did go to class together!], we ate together, we drank together, we grew together.

9. that indeed, it is the people that make the place. Yes, Mexico City is an exquisite city full of countless people to love and places to explore. But ah, my time in Mexico City would have been nothing, if it weren’t for ABE, mi mamá, my housemates, my teachers, my church young ppls’group, and my asian classmates/cooking buddies/friends.

10. that though I am not artsy, I have a deep appreciation for artsy things.

11. to enjoy cooking. Hopefully David is reaping the benefits from this …

12. what hospitality can look like. When they say “mi casa es tu casa” – they truly mean that their house is your house. You can come by whenever you want, for however long you want, and for whatever you want. Their generosity is so sincere and without conditions.

13. that I don’t really enjoy working with kids as much as I thought. This was a bit of a surprising realization for me. I lovelovelove, and am passionate about, seeing the lives of children being improved … but I think my passion for children may be used in a less direct way than actually physically being in the same room with a bunch of kids, playing with them. Hopefully I’ll feel differently about my own kids – if/when I ever have any … har.

14. to appreciate the uniqueness of different cultures. I obviously was interested in Mexican culture and its unique characteristics. But since coming home, I have been more open and receptive to the unique characteristics of Chinese culture – specifically, the Chinese-American immigrant culture of my parents.

15. what it felt like to be welcome into a church. I’ve always wanted to love well new-comers and guests at church, but it’s been a while since I’ve been in that position. But I know how I was welcomed at Comunidad Cristiana de Polanco and how they were intentional, sincere and diligent in their efforts to get to know me.

16. that Jack Bauer is THE man.

17. that though I have grown in my walk with God, and I can see how I’ve changed, I still have so much to learn. But I must live in the present. I cannot dwell in the past, and I cannot live in my imagination of the future.  I must live in today. Thank God for His infinite grace.

18. that God’s plan for me is often quite different from my plan for me. Now let’s see if I can actually remember that, and live in light of God’s plan for me … rather than my own.

I know that I would love to go back and live there for several years, and I love the idea of working among the poor there - feeding them, clothing them, healing them. But I don't know if God is calling me to go back to Mexico. And I'm finally okay knowing that it's okay for me not to know, right now. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So you came back artsy, cultured, doing the cheek-kiss thing, and annoyed by children, eh? Sounds like a snob to me..!!

I kid. I'm actually very excited to see what is in store for the Sophisticated Senior Anna.

Anyway, is this blog officially closed? Or are you gonna start another one? Actually I think you should put your blogging days behind you, because I agree that you're terrible at updating them. You need motivation.. maybe if you did something topical. Like if you made a blog about the things you're terrible at! That would be very entertaining, actually.

dhatroit said...

i agree w/ Scott's second paragraph!